The General Study, historical antecedent of the University of Girona, was created in 1446 by King Alfons el Magnànim, which granted Girona the privilege of granting titles of grammar, rhetoric, philosophy and theology, law and medicine. Throughout the 19th century , and as a result of the liberal revolution, the city council promoted the so-called “Free University of Girona”.
The university research institutes are units engaged in scientific and technical research or artistic creation. Provide technical advice on the scope of their powers and can organize and develop programs and doctoral studies and graduate.
- Institute of European and Comparative Private Law
- Catalan Institute of Language and Culture
- Institute of the Environment
- Institute of Computational Chemistry and catalysis
- Institute of Educational Research
- Higher Institute of Tourism Studies (INSETUR)
- Institute of Historical Research
- Quality of Life Research Institute
- Institute of Food and Agricultural Technology
- Institute of Aquatic Ecology
- Institute of Informatics and Applications